The Wheel of Life: An Easy Step-by-Step Guide | TFF
We often feel overwhelmed and anxious, with so much to do in our lives and so little time. But what if there was a way for you to take control of your days, weeks, and even entire life?
Introducing “The Wheel of Life coaching tool”—a simple yet effective tool that will help you prioritize the different aspects of your life from career aspirations to spiritual growth!
In this blog post, we'll walk through each step so that you can get organized, set goals, and live happily ever after. So grab a pen and paper because it's time to journey into The Wheel of Life!
What is the Wheel of Life?
The Wheel of Life is a simple but powerful tool that provides you with key insights into how fulfilled and balanced your life currently is.
It consists of up to 10 categories or areas, including physical and mental health, personal growth, and career development, which are all essential for achieving a whole lifestyle.
By rating the level of satisfaction with each area, you can map this onto an image of a wheel which gives you an immediate picture of your current "life balance".
With that insight in place, it allows you to identify those areas that need improvement and work on finding solutions.
Who created the wheel of life?
The original concept of the Coaching Wheel (Wheel of Life or Life Balance Wheel) was created by the late Paul J. Meyer who, in 1960, founded the Success Motivation Institute®.
The wheel is now found in many coaching techniques and development programs. It has different forms and names but all of them are designed to drive transformation by helping individuals become the best version of themselves.
Whether it’s through improved clarity and focus, increased productivity or simply bettering one’s life balance, there’s much potential for growth available through the use of the wheel of life.
What is the goal of the life balance wheel?
Having a balanced life is essential for physical and mental well-being. That's why The Wheel of Life is such an effective tool - it allows you to get a better understanding of which areas of your life are working, and those that may require further attention.
By using the Wheel, you can identify where you could benefit from more energy or adjustments to achieve your desired balance.
Whether it's professional development, family time, health, or financial management, the Wheel of Life can help you find a healthy and successful life balance.
How does the life wheel work?
A life wheel is a great tool for igniting personal growth and understanding oneself better.
It works by taking a series of categories that cover the different aspects of life, such as career, relationships, health, spirituality, friends/family, emotional stability, etc.
All of these aspects are important and each impacts the others in some way.
The user then rates their level of satisfaction within each category from 0-10. Once the ratings have been applied to each category, the user is presented with an image of a wheel.
By taking an honest look at your life and reflecting on which areas need more attention or change, you can develop a plan to improve them over time.
How do you use the Wheel of life tool?
The wheel of life exercise is a great way to get a handle on where you are in your life and what areas you may need to work on. To get the most out of this exercise, it's important to follow a few simple steps.
Print out the wheel
First, click on the wheel to download and print out the wheel. This will help you to focus and be more present with the exercise. It's also important to find a quiet place where you won't be interrupted or distracted. Turn off your phone and any other devices that might take your attention away from the task at hand.
Adjust the categories
Next, as you look at each of the life categories consider whether anything needs changing. Are there any segments that need splitting or renaming?
Another good tactic is to think about something missing; for example, if one of your main interests is music then adding a new segment into your wheel of life that mainly focuses on that can prove invaluable.
By tweaking the wheel you can make it more meaningful and accurate to yourself, giving each area of your life a dedicated focus and helping you plan better.
Connect with yourself
Then, take a few deep breaths and allow yourself to relax. This exercise is meant to help you connect with yourself, so it's important to go slowly and be as present as possible.
Once you're ready, begin filling out the wheel. Filling out means that you rate each of the categories on a scale of 1-10.
Make sure, to be honest with yourself, and make sure you are rating your level of satisfaction at that moment.
Review your answers
Finally, when you're finished, take a step back and review your answers. What areas of your life are most important to you? What do you need to work on?
Use this information to create a plan for how you want to move forward.
The Benefits of Utilizing a Wheel of Life
In this busy world, our emotions can sometimes become misplaced and it can be difficult to pinpoint exactly how we truly feel.
We might think that we’re content on the surface but when we take a step back and analyze our wheel of life, there may be dissatisfaction bubbling under the surface.
The wheel of life assessment is an extremely useful tool for understanding how satisfied you are and determining which aspects could use some work.
It provides a quick overview of different areas in your life and then gives you visual scores to identify the elements which can be improved.
Not only does this wheel of life help you gain clarity on how well different aspects of your life are going, but it also serves as motivation for personal growth and development.
The wheel of life is a great way to create focus on the lifestyle changes you want to make and strive towards developing an ideal life balance that meets all your needs.
Developing a plan
Developing a plan is the next step. This plan should be designed to help you focus on your goals and make positive changes.
To be successful, you must be committed to following your plan and making the necessary changes.
With hard work and dedication, you can attain the happiness, health, and peace of mind you deserve.
Ask yourself these questions:
Questions related to the physical aspect:
- What changes can I make to improve the areas of my physical life that are feeling unfulfilled?
- How can I take better care of myself to ensure that I'm living a healthier, more balanced lifestyle?
- Am I getting enough sleep each night and taking time to relax and unwind from the day's stressors?
- Am I engaging in regular physical activity as part of my daily routine?
- Do I have access to healthy food and nutrition options that will support my overall well-being?
- Are there any unhealthy habits that I need to be aware of, such as smoking or drinking too much alcohol, that is impacting my physical health?
- Is there anything about my current environment or living situation that could be causing me stress or anxiety?
- Have all necessary medical appointments been scheduled and completed on time so that any potential health risks can be identified and addressed promptly?
- Are there any preventative measures that I could take to help promote better overall health outcomes in the future, such as eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, or getting regular checkups with a physician?
- What resources do I have available to me for addressing any physical issues or concerns related to mental health or wellbeing (such as counseling services, support groups, etc.)?
Questions related to the mental aspect
- What areas of my life need the most attention to help improve my overall mental well-being?
- Am I currently implementing any strategies or tactics to help me achieve a better mental balance?
- How can I manage stress and negative emotions healthily and productively?
- Do I have enough support from family, friends, and colleagues that can help me through difficult times?
- Are there certain activities or hobbies that make me feel calmer and happier when my mental well-being is not at its best?
- Am I surrounding myself with people who encourage positive thinking and inspire hope?
- What specific steps do I need to take to create more balance in my life between personal time and professional obligations?
- Are there any mental health professionals or organizations that could provide me with additional resources and guidance?
- How can I prioritize self-care activities such as meditation, yoga, exercise, etc., to maintain good mental health practices?
- Are there any areas in my life where I can find more gratification or satisfaction which will lead to an improved sense of happiness and contentment overall?
Questions related to relationships
- What do I need to prioritize to ensure my relationships are as fulfilling as possible?
- How can I communicate my needs more effectively to ensure that my relationships are satisfying?
- Are there any problem areas in my existing relationships that need addressing?
- How can I develop better listening skills to improve my conversations and interactions with others?
- Am I spending enough quality time with the important people in my life, or am I neglecting them?
- Are there any unhealthy habits that may be preventing me from forming stronger bonds with others?
- Do I have an adequate support network or could it be expanded for greater satisfaction?
- Where do I find the time and energy necessary for nurturing and maintaining meaningful relationships?
- Are there limits or boundaries that should be set when engaging with certain individuals to keep things healthy?
- What goals can be set to improve upon the many aspects of personal relationships such as trust, respect, understanding, and communication?
Questions related to the emotional aspect
- How can I better express my emotions and feelings?
- What can I do to better recognize my emotional needs?
- How can I identify when I'm feeling overwhelmed or stressed, and how can I manage it?
- How can I build more resilience in the face of difficult emotions?
- Is there any particular area of my life where I need to work on strengthening my emotional awareness and capacity?
- Are there any activities or practices that could help me develop healthier and more productive ways of dealing with emotion-related issues?
- What are some specific strategies for improving communication with others which would enable a greater understanding of each other’s emotional needs?
- What kinds of resources (books, articles, websites) exist that offer further guidance in developing skills related to emotional well-being?
- Are there any support systems (therapists, coaches, counselors) that could help me develop a deeper understanding of my own emotions or provide additional tools for managing difficult times or situations?
- Are there any positive changes or habits that I could incorporate into my lifestyle which would nurture the emotional dimension of the Wheel of Life?
Questions related to your career
- What employment opportunities are available to me right now and in the future? Have I done the research necessary to understand what other roles I may be suited for?
- Is there a way to increase my current salary or job title without having to leave my current employer?
- Am I investing time and energy into developing my skills, knowledge, and professional networks?
- Do I have a clear understanding of what is expected of me at work and am I doing everything possible to meet those expectations?
- How satisfied am I with the level of autonomy I have at work and can this be improved?
- In what ways can I become more engaged with my job duties during slow periods or when feeling unmotivated?
- Are there any personal development courses that could help me progress in my career such as public speaking, leadership training, or computer programming courses?
- Is there a way to balance my need for financial stability while still pursuing higher-paying jobs with greater responsibility?
- What support systems do I have both inside and outside of work that could provide resources in furthering my career goals?
- Am I taking advantage of all available networking opportunities, such as industry events, seminars, conferences, and professional associations, that could give me an edge in competitive job markets?
So, you identified areas of your life that need attention. How do you go about improving them? Here are some action steps you can take:
- If you're feeling unsatisfied with your current job, it's time to begin exploring alternatives. Don't let the status quo limit what you could be achieving - open up new prospects and seize opportunities that will bring joy into your work life! Update your resume and LinkedIn profile and start attending networking events.
- If you love your job but feel like you're in a rut, set some goals for yourself and brainstorm ways to challenge yourself at work.
- If you're self-employed or running your own business, make sure you're taking time to celebrate your successes and learn from your failures.
- Get organized! Create a budget and track your spending so you have a better understanding of where your money is going.
- Make a plan to pay off any debt you may have as quickly as possible.
- Invest in yourself by setting aside money for savings and retirement.
- Eat healthily! This means making sure you're getting enough fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, etc. You can also try meal prepping or cooking at home more often to save money and eat healthier meals.
- Get active! Exercise isn't just essential for our physical well-being - it's pivotal for our mental health, too. Even if you don't have time for a formal workout routine, there are plenty of ways to fit activity into your day-to-day life (take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk or bike to work/the store/etc., do bodyweight exercises at home).
- Make sure you're getting enough sleep! Most adults need around 7-8 hours per night. Consider turning off electronics an hour before bed and establishing a nighttime routine to help relax your mind and body before sleep.
- Spend time with loved ones! Whether it's family members, friends, or romantic partners, quality time is important for maintaining healthy relationships. Make sure to schedule regular check-ins (phone calls, texts, in-person visits) and date nights/days if applicable.
- Be honest and open with communication! This means being willing to listen as well as share how we're feeling without judgment or criticism.
- Seek professional help if needed! If communication is difficult or if there's been a major issue or conflict, talking to a therapist or counselor can be very helpful in resolving any issues and moving forward positively.
- Set goals! Identify what areas you want to improve in (career growth, fitness goals, learning new skills/hobbies) and create actionable steps that will help you achieve those goals within a reasonable timeframe.
- Be patient! Change takes time so don't get discouraged if things aren't happening as quickly as you'd like them to.
- Be gentle with yourself! Mistakes happen but that doesn't mean we should beat ourselves up about them.
- Make time for activities that make YOU happy! Whether it's reading books, watching movies, playing sports, hiking, biking, etc., find something that brings joy into your life outside of work/obligations.
- Take breaks when needed! If your work/life balance feels off, make sure to schedule some downtime into your week so you can recharge.
- Find ways to connect with others! Social interaction is key for maintaining our mental health so try joining clubs/teams, attending meetups, going out with friends, etc.
- Give back however you can! There are many ways to contribute whether it's volunteering with local organizations, donating money/time/resources to charities, etc.
- Help out those in need! If someone close to us is going through a tough time, see what kind of support we can offer them.
- Raise awareness about important causes! Educate yourself and others about social justice issues, environmentalism, etc.
- Connect with nature! Spend time outside in nature (go for walks in the park, sit by the ocean/lake/river, go camping), meditate outdoors, etc.
- Practice gratitude! Keep a gratitude journal where you write down things you're thankful for on a daily/weekly basis.
- Find peace within yourself! Explore different spiritual practices (yoga, prayer, journaling,) and find what works best for you.
A wellness wheel is a helpful tool for understanding what's causing unhappiness in your life. By taking a close look at each section of the wheel, you can start to identify the areas that need improvement. By making even small changes in the areas that are causing you stress, you can begin to live a more balanced and fulfilling life.